I know, I know. It’s never going to get old: when you see Wyrd, you automatically think “weird,” even though it’s Old English for fate and the name of my novel. It’s okay, I do it every time too. And “Wyrd Update” is even better, I know.
Managed to get the prologue done today. 1225 words, just over 5 pages. I know it doesn’t sound like much, but it was an accomplishment for me, as the prologue involved setting the story and involved constant reference to notes and research, which is why it was heavy going. Plus I’m pretty sure I’m going to eventually edit it down to three pages or less, even though I liked everything I kind of said, I just know it’s going to need to be a lot shorter and tighter, and it’ll get there, eventually, after a number of edits.
And tomorrow, I’ll begin with Chapter One. As I did with the second rewrite of Nothing is an Accident, I’ve made up a spreadsheet with dates and numbers of words written and number of pages written. This serves a number of purposes: 1) it boosts my ego a little to see that I’ve actually put something on the page, or more like a lot of somethings strung together to form sentences and paragraphs; 2) it helps me keep track of how I’m doing and for these updates and just in general; 3) I keep track of how much I’m writing each day and each week. I’ve laid it out through the end of February and at the moment I’m sticking to my own made up goal that I borrowed from James Rollins. On my days off I need to do 4-6 pages; on the days I’m working at least 2 pages.
We’ll see how that goes and how much I stay on goal. But I’m going to be tough on myself to get the writing and the work done. And try not to give myself too many excuses when I get little or no writing done.